If you are a sandwich lover, you are probably familiar with the hot dog. Firstly, the hot dog is a sandwich. Secondly, like all sandwiches, there are many variations. The New Jersey hot dog is one of them, and it is hard to ignore its delicious taste. You will take onions, peppers, and potatoes, so get ready for an experience from the very first bite.
Here are a few variations on this recipe!
New Jersey Italian Hot Dog.
The ingredients that you need for making New Jersey Italian hot dogs are as follows:
- 1 cup virgin olive oil.
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 2 medium green peppers and it must be sliced into stripes.
- 2 pounds of peeled potatoes. Each potato must be cut in such a way so that you get two big chunks from each potato.
- 1 large white or yellow onion sliced into strips.
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or a homemade mixture of basil, rosemary, and oregano.
- 8-9 beef hot dogs with natural casings.
- 2 tablespoons mustard paste.
- 4 sandwich buns.
Well, the process of making New Jersey Italian Hot Dog is very simple. We have divided the entire process into four parts. So, don’t miss going through the following components.
- Fry All The Potatoes: Take a large skillet and heat the olive oil. After that, put the potatoes and fry them on medium heat. It will take 3 to 4 minutes to cook them thoroughly. Now, sprinkle some salt and mix well.
- Fry Onions And Peppers: After frying the potatoes, you need to cook the onions and peppers. Add some salt and Italian seasoning over them. Now, add potatoes and mix them very well.
- Grill Or Fry Your Hot Dogs: Take a frying pan and cook the hot dogs. Well, if you have a grill, you can also grill them. But, you should never boil them.
- Assemble: This is the last step, and here, you need to brush the mustard paste on each side of the sandwich roll. After that, add hot dogs and onions, peppers, and potatoes fry. Cover it with another slice, and your New Jersey Italian Hot Dog is ready.
So, this is the New Jersey hot dog recipe, and we hope that you would try this at home. If you are looking for a few pairing for this dish, check this article on healthy sides to serve with any barbecue entree!